GDB stub - connection from 32 bit GDB or 64 bit GDB

Hi,

 How can the gdb stub know if a 32 bit GDB is connecting to the stub
or a 64 bit GDB is connecting to the stub?   Is it even possible?  It
doesn't seem possible to me looking at the current gdb remote
commands, but hopefully I overlooked something.
 I have tried different combinations with 32-bit and 64-bit GDBs and
gdbservers and it seems like a 32 bit GDB will not work with a 64 bit
gdbserver and vice versa.

Thanks for you help.

Mitchell