Re: [Fwd: Is anyone using the HP compilers on PA-RISC with FSF GDB?] (fwd)

> > > There have been requests for ELF debug support.  The main issue as
> > > far as I can see is the lack of named sections and where to put stuff.
>
> Do you mean DWARF-2 here?  If so, I completely agree.  It seems like

Oops, yes DWARF-2.

> SOM has some named sections - at least we're managing to get objdump to
> tell me there's a GDB_STRINGS section - so I don't know what the
> problem is.

Yes, SOM has named spaces and subspaces.  However, we backed away from
using named sections in the SOM port a few years ago because there were
issues with them in collect2's processing.  Section symbols and name
truncation, when using HP nm, caused problems with constructors/destructors.

There's no problem in generating named subspaces to hold the various
flavors of DWARF-2 debug info.  However, there is some dependence
on the presence of named section support in GCC's DWARF-2 output code
as I recall.  That's the only issue that needs a little thinking.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)