Interested in remote protocol improvements

Hi,

I read some posts from Daniel Jacobowitz and his plans about improving the
remote protocol. Are there any further informations available?

I already tested the "Self-describing targets" target.xml idea and it works
pretty well (using the codesourcery gdb for arm). I used the target
description to add new registers - this way I could avoid hacking GDB.

Since my current project depends on the remote protocol performance I'm
interested in any progress.
The biggest problem is the speed. Even on my localhost tcp connection a
request + reply packet takes about 5-10 ms. So if GDB is driven by some
external IDE which fetches all registers and maybe some disassembly after
each step/break you can easily reach 1 second delay for every step.
Unfortunately GDB tries to fetch every additional register one by one using
the P packet. The same thing happens for the disassembly (word by word).

Any news/info is appreciated.

Sascha