Re: [remote] RFC: Replace qPart with qXfer

> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:14:19 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> > >           Access the target's "auxiliary vector".  *Note auxiliary
> > >           vector: OS Information, and see *Note read-aux-vector-packet:
> >                                         ^^^
> > This "see" is redundant.  I suspect you used "see @ref"; if so, just
> > drop the "see" part.
>
> [...]
>
> Confused.  The example in the Texinfo manual suggests "see @ref", and
> says that you shouldn't just drop it, because e.g. "in *Note" is
> considered awkward.

The first example in the "ref" node indeed might sound as if it says
that, but the truth is that @ref exists precisely _because_ you might
sometimes want to omit the "see" part, because the sentence structure
requires that.

You shouldn't read that section of the Texinfo manual too literally,
all it wants to say is that you should think about how the sentence
will sound in both Info and printed versions, and apply your best
judgement as to what would be best.

Karl, is it possible to reword that section along these lines
(provided that you agree with my reasoning, of course)?

In the case in point, I think that "*Note FOO, and *Note BAR" sounds
better than with the extra "see".  You don't have the "in" in your
sentence, so the situation is different from what the manual
describes.  In the printed version, removing "see" will produce this:

  See Section X.YZ [OS Information], page 123, and Section A.BC
  [read-aux-vector], page 456.

which is okay, I think.