Re: asynchronous MI output commands

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 12:50:03AM +0200, Bjarke Viksoe wrote:
> Right. When I was testing all this I ran into more trouble. I would
> actually see something like this:
>
> (gdb) -var-evaluate-expression A
> ^done,value="12-var-evaluate-expression A
> 34"
> (gdb)
> ^done,value="1234"
>
> ...because of the lack of flow-control in the telnet/SSH session (notice
> how the next command is embedded in the output of the first).

Well, that's a whole different problem.  Note that GDB is _not_ echoing
your commands here - it only handles output in MI mode.  The terminal
is doing it.  On Unix systems, you can solve this by running "stty
-echo" (beware, some shells reset this when in interactive mode - my
zsh was eating it, I had to try in bash).

> This put me back to square#1 since there was now no 1:1 relationship
> between cmd/answ.  While I agree that your plan is workable, I just
> concluded that keeping track of a command-list wasn't a reliable
> option without some severe pain when recovery was needed (aka back to
> the <token> option) - and I didn't feel that I was getting any closer
> to having a state-less component.

How would changing the MI output improve this situation at all?  I
can't see it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery