Re: MI: type prefixes for values

On Apr 6, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:06:14AM -0700, Jim Ingham wrote:
-var-evaluate-expression just fetches the data for the expression as
it was last computed.  As such, it doesn't know in or out of scope.

I can see, from careful inspection, that this is true. It surprised the heck out of me. I'd have expected it to evaluate it now, not to return the last evaluated value.

Should it do this? If so, we should fix the manual.

I think the idea here was that if you wanted you could use varobj's as "history" if you wanted to. It is also might be convenient that if you are using one varobj to display a value in a number of places in the UI you don't have to re-evaluate it every time. But to tell the truth, I don't think either of these features is used in Xcode or in Insight either, IIRC.

Eek! Every call to c_value_of_root for a local changes the selected frame and reinitializes the frame cache, discarding previous unwindings. That's awful. I sure hope it isn't necessary.

That looks like that's been there for a long time. I am not sure why it is necessary. It doesn't cause as much problem as you would expect, since in common practice, you get the stack, and display that, then just noodle around in the variables on the bottom of the stack. But you're right, it would be good not to do this. I'll try taking it out, and see what happens under Xcode.

Jim

-- Daniel Jacobowitz CodeSourcery