Re: Quoting, backslashes, CLI and MI

> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:34:10 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
>
> > I agree.  But that means MI commands that delegate to CLI will have to
> > process the arguments to modify the quoting, right?
>
> Right - or stop delegating to the CLI, which is what I think I would
> do.

If that's not hard to do, then it's probably for the better to stop
delegating.

> > However, I Think we need 2 different styles of quoting: one for file
> > names, the other for strings.  Otherwise, supporting the Windows
> > backslashes will be hard.  Also, there are messy cases such as this:
> >
> >     (gdb) break "foo bar.c":'MyClass::MyMethod'
> >
> > (I'm not even sure I quoted it correctly ;-).  Can we really use the
> > same quoting rules for both the file-name and class/method name in
> > such situations?
>
> Well, are you talking about the CLI here, or about the MI?

I thought I was talking about both, but maybe we need to think about
it some more.  Your description seemed to hint that 2 different
quoting styles already existed at least for the CLI case.  And it
seemed to me that trying to unify them would be a lot of unneeded
work, especially since I'm not at all sure they can be unified in a
useful way.

> Supporting Windows backslashes isn't hard - but we would have to
> document that they must be doubled (A) on the CLI, and (B) within
> double-quoted MI arguments.

If this would be acceptable to users, I don't mind.