More GDB stub questions

So I've implementing a GDB stub thats connect GDB to a PowerPC4xx
board (target) via a JTAG controller. I've got some questions that I'm
still not sure about and since I got great advice last time I figured
I try again.  So here is my environment, the host computer is a linux
machine and my GDB stub resides on the host also.  They connect by
TCP/IP.

1) Do I need to configure GDB so that the host is linux and the target
is PPC?  I don't think so but wanted to be sure.

2) When GDB connects with the stub, one of the initial commands will
be the 'g' read general register commands.  Is this only the GPR
registers then?  Shouldn't it need to know the SPR registers, and
other registers also?  I'm not really sure what GDB is expecting.
When I type "info registers" afterward it just lists some stuff that I
don't know what it is.

(top-gdb) target remote :8888
Remote debugging using :8888
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(top-gdb) info register
eax            0x0      0
ecx            0x0      0
edx            0x0      0
ebx            0x0      0
esp            0x0      0x0
ebp            0x0      0x0
esi            0x0      0
edi            0x0      0
eip            0x0      0x0
eflags         0xf9daf8 16374520
cs             0x0      0
ss             0x0      0
ds             0x0      0
es             0x0      0
fs             0x0      0
gs             0x0      0

3)  For the program that I want to debug, I've been trying load it
onto the Target by using the GDB load command.  So when I type in gdb
"load test", my stub just reads it as a write hex data to memory.  I
haven't implemented the 'X' write bin data to memory command.  If
that's all load does, how are you suppose to figure out where to set
the PC?  or is this just not the right way to load the program to be
debugged onto the Target.

 Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitchell