MAINTAINERS ping

This is the text, for posterity, of the ping that I've sent out to all
listed role holders in gdb/MAINTAINERS.  My apologies to everyone for the
fat-fingered shell script that sent them out; please don't reply to
'@nevyn.them.org...

Hi,

You're receiving this message because you are listed in the GDB
"MAINTAINERS" file, as a Global Maintainer, Responsible Maintainer,
Authorized Committer, or more than one of the above.  Please read it
through, and respond.

This file, and the development policies it describes, have just been
overhauled.  If you did not follow the discussion on the gdb@sourceware.org
list, you may want to take a look at the current version, available here:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/gdb/MAINTAINERS?rev=1.335&content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=src&only_with_tag=HEAD

One of the major changes from previous versions is the addition of timeouts
for the Responsible Maintainers (area maintainers).  They are responsible
for reviewing patches within a week of posting, or at least acknowledging
the patch within a week and reviewing within a month.  In return, they get
the opportunity to control all major changes within their area of interest
and have a major impact on the future quality of GDB.

Obviously, there's some slack in this (e.g. for vacations), and missing a
couple of patches is not a big deal.  At the same time, we would like to
remove maintainers who feel that they can not or do not want to meet these
new expectations.  If you think this applies to you, you have two options:
you can move to the Authorized Committers section if you still intend to do
development in the area but do not want to review all changes to it, or you
can move to the Write After Approval section if you don't intend to do
further development in the area.

The details of the Global Maintainer and Authorized Committer positions have
also been adjusted, but not as substantially - and having unresponsive
individuals in these spots is less of a problem for GDB development.
However, I'd like to take this opportunity to see if those lists are
still accurate and useful, also.

So:

Please check MAINTAINERS, linked above, for everywhere your name appears.
Please respond to me privately whether you are still interested in each
role you're listed for, and if not, whether you would like to step down
to Authorized Committer or all the way down to Write After Approval.
In a couple of weeks I will update the MAINTAINERS file accordingly.

If you don't get back to me, I will assume that any Global and Authorized
slots should be left alone, and any Responsible slots moved to Authorized.
But please do respond if you can.  If you don't have time to respond before
I update MAINTAINERS, that's no crisis - you can always be re-added to the
file later.  Contact gdb@sourceware.org.

Similarly for anyone whose listed email bounces, of course.  The best I can
do for that case is to also post a copy of this message to the GDB list,
where it will show up in the archives.  If your listed email bounces, I
plan to remove you from MAINTAINERS entirely until we hear from you.

Thanks in advance!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery