Re: History before 1999

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:33:20PM -0800, Jim Blandy wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> wrote:
> > In theory, an energetic person could graft old public releases into
> > the repository, making a sort of synthetic history. Easier in SVN
> > perhaps?
>
> Insertion of revisions into an existing history, even at the front,
> isn't something SVN has any special support for.  I think you'd have
> to dump, edit, and re-load the repository.

However, Ian has some nice hack for stitching CVS repositories together
during a CVS->SVN transition - he wrote them to add the old-gcc
repository to GCC.  I bet we could add the additional history in the
process of switching to SVN, if there's interest in doing that :-)

I've been thinking on and off about the "modules" problem that I
mentioned the last time the idea came up; I think it's not infeasible.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery