Memory access error while loading section .text with avr-gdb 6.3-2

Hi,

currently, I am trying to debug / simulate a rather simple project for a
small robot with avr-gdb. Unfortunately, I have come across an error in
gdb about whom I am not able to find any relevant information on Google
or even this list.

The message is:
Memory access error while loading section .text.

This occurs without any further details after having started simulavr,
compiling the project anew and running a command file generated
automatically by make. IOW, I am following the procedure on
http://electrons.psychogenic.com/modules/arms/art/6/SimulatingandDebuggingAVRprograms.php

At this state, gdb has connected to the simulavr gdb server and tries
to load .text, as expressed in "Loading section .text, size 0x15c8 lma
0x0." This is the last message before the error.

As I said, there is barely any information on this available, which is
why I could not do too much to solve the problem myself. The only place
I found .text is mentioned is the .map file - would it be helpful to
provide the respective sections?

It would be nice if someone had a solution for this, or could possibly
point me into the direction of another debugger or gdb version, as it is
absolutely necessary that the robot be up and running in an at least
basic way before Friday...
Finding a Windows PC and running AVR Studio would be the last resort for
me.

Thanks in advance for your efforts,
David