Re: MI: asynchronous operation details

 > continue/next/nexti/step/stepi/unti/finish. So, it still looks like
 > "-exec-interrupt" is the only command that can be meaningfully issued while
 > inferior is running.

Rather than discuss the possible benefits of asynchronous operation in an
abstract manner, I suggest that you integrate as much of MI into your
front-end (kdevelop?) to find out the limitations.  These limitations
can then be discussed within a context.

In Emacs, Richard Stallman has stated that any front-end fro GDB must keep the
GUD buffer.  This is used to enter CLI commands.  I have found that the best
way to get CLI commands to work well with MI is through asynchronous
operation.  Apple have already done this with their version of GDB and you can
see it in action by installing a copy of Opendarwin.

I believe that Daniel J is interested in asynchronous operation for scripting,
but until you see a need for it for your purposes, I see little point in
debating its merits or lack of them.

Nick