Re: Dumping core on windows?

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 11:58:04AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
>Brian Dessent wrote:
>>Ben Greear wrote:
>>>Is there any way to configure windows to dump a core file that GDB can
>>>decode?
>>
>>If you are using Cygwin, the dumper utility is provided for this.  See
>>the users guide.
>
>I'm using mingw on Linux to cross-compile a windows executable.  It
>does not require/use cygwin, but I can use cygwin if that will do what
>I need.  I'll investigate the dumper tool.

AFAIK, the only thing that's cygwin-specific about dumper.exe is to use
cygwin's "just in time" debugging facility so, although dumper.exe
should be able to produce a core file that gdb will understand, I don't
think there's any way to have it called automatically when a SEGV (or
whatever) happens.

>>>(Or, get a stack-trace some other way?)
>>
>>Attach to the process and "bt"?  No core file is needed for that.
>>Maybe you should supply some more details.
>
>After hours or days, my application crashes.  It's not overly
>convenient for me to attach gdb to the process(es), but it can be done
>if that is the only way.
>
>Is there a way to have gdb automatically start running an app, for
>instance, something like this:
>
>gdb --exe=foo.exe --autostart --command="--arg1 --arg2=bar"
>
>I know you can pipe commands in, but that's a bit inconvenient...

Perhaps "gdb --help" would be of some interest to you.  It reveals this
option:

  gdb --args foo --arg1 --arg2

cgf