Re: Is multiprocessor debugging multithreaded debugging?

Hi Steven,

> I dont think "lock step" is achievable with Asynchronous
> multiprocessing.  Each processor has a different clock domain, they also
> do not have any "synchronizing" features in hardware.  The best you
> could approximate is "command 2 targets to Single step at once" which
> one actually single steps first would of course be unknown. And in fact
> if one processor is faster than another the processor that actually
> single stepped last, could be the first to complete its instruction.

Yes it is this approximation that I meant. If you wanted to define an
order of stepping that could be one extra feature. But you really cannot
have a granularity more than an instruction.

> In my case, if i needed to do this, i worked out which instruction
> should be executed first (for my particular test), went to that instance
> of GDB, single stepped.  Went to the next instance of GDB and then
> stepped it.  Given the asynchronous nature of what you describe i can
> imagine all sorts of race conditions which would mean you would get
> inconsistent debug results.  Things like, why did that happen, that bit
> shouldnt have been set yet type stuff.
>
> >Providing relational breakpoints between multiple processors might be
> >another nifty feature.
> >
> >Lets say something like b <here> if val_in_pgm_in_proc2 is 0xcafebabe.
> >

> I also think to do this GDB would need to "simulate" the behavior.  It
> would have to put an unconditional break on <here>.  Every time the
> target breaks on <here> break the processor with the val_in_pgm_in_proc2
> variable, inspect it. restart the proc2 target (which might then
> actually change the value from 0xcafebabe, so you are not in the state
> you think you are) and then make a decision about whether to continue
> from the break at <here> or report it to the user.  Ive yet to see a
> JTAG of BDM type interface that allows "live" inspection of data, while
> the CPU is executing code.

Agreed ! Neither have I .

> I think all of these things are advanced User Interface concerns, and
> actually have little if anything to do with the fundamental GDB itself.
> Maybe what is really required, if anything, is a GDB front end, that can
> interface to multiple GDB back end instances (through MI), each one a
> potentially different processor architecture, and do these types of
> operations.  Tabbed pages for each CPU, simulated simultaneous step on n
> of m processors, cross processor break trigger conditioning.  Sounds
> like a bitching front end, but i dont think GDB itself should be made to
> do these things natively, as they are not actually native debug issues,
> but simulated "pseudo" operations.

User Interfaces are a concern and if one could not use these features
from the command line or emacs for that matter (which happens to be my
favourite GDB frontend.)  .

> Now if such a front end was GPL, could work on the majority of hosts
> that support GDB, and was assigned to the FSF it might (if the
> maintainers agree) even be able to live in the GDB CVS Tree (like the
> TUI front end), and be a standard example of an MI/GUI front end. (But
> now im dreaming).  Id shudder to think how unwieldy multi CPU debugging
> would be without multiple "screens" of information, you can switch
> between, so i really dont know how you would achieve anything really
> useful without a GUI in any event.

I agree about the UI design part, a per CPU command or a per CPU view /
a process command and viewing registers seamlessly depending on the
context of the debuggee under consideration would be a nifty feature to
have.

A set context to cpu#x would be another command. The problem with
frontends again is that users have different choices of frontends, so to
get people to migrate from one to another is another set of issues. And
again keeping it in gdb allows users to continue using their frontends
or customizing it for features in gdb  . Also it allows users to
seamlessly continue using their existing features.

> In fact what you describe is really no different to debugging two
> applications on the one PC, which interact, at the same time.  Again,
> something people do not infrequently, but they do it with multiple
> instances of the debugger running.

Agreed again ! What I have been interested in at some point in the past,
was designing a unified frontend and possibly looking at an interface
within GDB to do such stuff. We did do some prototyping with exactly
this kind of a setup where we could look at multiple binaries within the
same session and switch between processes and so on and so forth.

> Maybe if Anupama can highlight what he thinks the deficiencies with the
> current arrangement are, i could see the problems with my view.

Its a she actually !

> Now if you were talking about getting GDB to be able to read/set JTAG
> boundary scan information (on targets where that is applicable), and
> process BSDL files to show the states of all pins in a meaningful way I
> think that would be a useful project in this realm, but i think making
> GDB natively handle asynchronous multiprocessor debugging is a waste of
> time that could be better spent, as there is no problem to solve that i
> can see.

If I understand this right you are talking about reading and setting
JTAG boundary scan info , processing BSDL regarding the design for the
particular board under consideration and then debug the model using that
for the program being debugged and relate the two up.Map between test
program source and the state of the pins .

Care to elaborate this further ? If it is not really relevant to
discussion on gdb@ maybe we can carry this conversation offlist ?

cheers
Ramana