Re: gdb stack trace problems (Addendum)

   Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:34:24 -0400
   From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>

   On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:26:32PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   > Can you test the attached patch?  It introduces a new option named
   > "trust-frame-pointer".  Whenever you encounter a problem you can:
   >
   > (gdb) set trust-frame-pointer 1

   "set i386 trust-frame-pointer", please?

That can be arranged, although this isn't something i386-specific per
se.

   > and try again.  You probably want to reset it to 0 before continuing
   > your program since I found out that bad things happen with some of the
   > tests in the gdb testsuite with this turned on.

   Hmm, what sort of bad things?

Mostly "next" running off into some random startup code instead of
stopping at the next line.  It adds about 75 failures to my testsuite
run on i386-unknown-openbsd3.7 (which has gcc 3.3.5).

Anyway, this leaves me not completely convinced that this is a good
idea.  If Windows DLL's are really so undebuggable as Roland showed,
it might be a good idea to add a Windows-specific DLL unwinder.  But
that requires some action from someone with a working Windows system
;-).

Mark