Re: arm core analysis on x86 host

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 06:29:19PM -0500, Jon Ringle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to analyze an arm core dump on an x86 host and I get the error when
> using the core command:
> 	GDB can't read core files on this machine.
>
> The error message is coming because find_core_target() is returning NULL, and
> it's returning NULL because it can't find a match for
> 	(*t)->to_stratum == core_stratum
>
> I find that the only place that core_stratum gets used to set to_stratum is in
> init_core_ops(), which gets called by _initialize_corelow(). However, I can't
> find any code that calls _initialize_corelow().

It's called from init.c, which is a generated file, if it is included in
the gdb build.  See the .mh and .mt files.

> 1) Can the current gdb analyze an arm core dump?
> 2) If not, I would appreciate some pointers to help me add this support.

Take a look at any target which registers core functions in a tdep
file, instead of a nat file.  arm-linux still does it in the nat file.
That just needs to be fixed.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC