Re: warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function

Quoting Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:35:59PM -0400, Adam Richard wrote:
> > Quoting Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>:

> whenever I
> > > use

> > > message
> > >
> > > It means exactly what it says - GDB could not set the breakpoint that
> > > it uses for tracking things like dlopen().
> > >
> > > I can't guess at causes, since you didn't tell us what your platform
> > > is.
> >
> > Actually, the error message isn't really clear - I just looked up what dlopen does,
> but
> > I don't see what it has to do with breakpoints.  As to my platform, I'm using
> Gentoo
>
> Nothing, on its own.  GDB uses a breakpoint to be able to support
> debugging programs which use dlopen.

That doesn't really make sense to me.  Setting a breakpoint *is* a debugging task.  Why
does it need to set a breakpoint in order to debug?

> > Linux, kernel 2.6.9, on an AMD Athlon XP processor.  I read somewhere that it
> might
> > have to do with a stripped gdb but I don't understand why I can't have a stripped
> gdb
> > so I'm hoping for an explanation.
>
> Not a stripped GDB, a stripped dynamic linker (/lib/ld-linux.so.2).

OK, why does a stripped dynamic linker impair debugging?  I noticed that that file is
part of the glibc package, and I can see why stripping it would prevent being able to
step into its functions for any program which depends on it (which is most programs).
But I still don't understand your explanation.

> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz

---
Adam