x86 Hardware Breakpoints

I would like to implement Hardware Breakpoints for the MPC855.
For this I currently analyze the gdb, how it works with x86 processors.
Now I look for the straight place in the gdb sources, where it stops if such
breakpoint is triggered
or rather where the gdb gets feedback of the processor that the breakpoint
has slammed.

I hope that someone can point me some helpful information.

thanks
Jan