Re: probing GDB for MI versions

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:19:53AM -0400, 'Bob Rossi' wrote:
> Yes, I understand.
>
> If GDB is going to support 1 stable version of the MI protocol at a time
> then just have it print the version on startup. There is no negotiation
> that needs to take place.
>
> If GDB is going to support multiple stable versions of the MI protocol
> at a time, then have it print all of the versions like you suggested.
> Also, above what you suggested, I think the front end should be able to
> select the version it wants from the list. Is this OK?
>
> I'd like to work on this patch as soon as possible, so that I can start
> using it. Is the multiple stable version approach with negotiation OK?

I think it's pretty clear that no one else likes the idea of
negotiating.  I certainly don't.

I believe that printing the latest stable version of MI is plenty
adequate.  If the front end wants a development version of MI it can
use -i=mi; if it wants the latest stable version it can use that
version; if it does not recognize that version it can use the latest
version it recognizes.  If you encounter a situation in which that
version no longer works, have it removed from GDB.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz