RE: probing GDB for MI versions

  No, we can't.  As long as the output from the -mi-version MI command stays
in the same format, you can always parse that and determine which version to
use.  Everything else can change.  You can start up with an utterly minimal,
unintelligent parser, that knows nothing except how to send a -mi-version
command and parse the output; that parser can then direct one of your
version-dependent parsers to take over.

    cheers,
      DaveK