Re: Release symbol file

Thanks, but what about the MI? I can't give switches to e.g
-file-exec-and-symbol, can I? I mean, once gdb is started. Or
do I have to stop and restart gdb every time?

--readnow is a global flag. It turns on the "read now" behavior on all future calls to symbol_file_add_with_addrs_or_offsets.

gdb does keep file descriptors open for the target program,
but it ought to have all the symbols in memory after
"expanding to full symbols".

I'm not concerned about the symbols but about the file access.
Even when started with "gdb --readnow -i mi" and load a file
I can't delete that file anymore. As I want to recreate it without
unloading from gdb I guess I need to make a copy then.

How recent is your GDB? Jerome Guitton (2004-08-10) modified GDB so that it would always close these object files.

Andrew