Re: MI changes

Hi,

Could I please have a response to this topic? I am being held up on the
development of my project while waiting for this decision.

I think others have already responded to this proposal with a clear rationale for not making a change. We've already got numeric prefixes which are returned with the command result. Asynchronous output has to be self contained.

Andrew

I propose several changes to MI.

   1. Every MI output command is prefixed with a label saying what type
   of command it is. This is easy for synchronous commands. We will have
   to make a list of asynchronous MI output commands that can be
   documented some where.

      benefit: the front end knows how to deal with the data it was
      given in all circumstances

   2. Because of this new label, all MI output commands of it's type
   will be backwards compatible. Only adding fields and such things are
   allowed. If it is necessary to change the command, a new MI command
   and label will be put in it's place.

      benefit: front ends will be very reliable because they will work
      with new and old GDB's. They will also work with snapshot of GDB
      instead of only major releases.

BTW, this Email does not address MI input commands in any way. This will
be the next step on my list.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi