MI set thread command

Hi

The manual says for the MI set thread command:
Hct - where c should be 'c' for step and continue, but 'g' for other operations.

What are does other operations? Reading registers? When does gdb use
the one or the other? What is used if I issue "thread xx" on the command line?
So far I couldn't quite make it out from watching the protocols.

Thanks

bye  Fabi