separating gdb & inferior output

Hi,

Is there a better way to separate GDB's and the inferior's output
besides using the tty command?

I have the feeling the tty command does not port properly everywhere
that GDB does (mingw, cygwin). I've personally had problems with it on
some version of Windows with cygwin. Besides, figuring out how to open a
tty on different machines is a real pain.

Is there a better, more portable way, to accomplish the same task?
I was thinking of having GDB output it's output to a UNIX or TCP/IP
port. How about a FIFO(portable?)? Any other ideas?

I have a feeling this has been brought up before.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi