Re: How to setup a breakpoint on constructor

> Is there anything different in the constructor in comparision to normal
> function since I cannot break the program in there?

Yes, this is a long-standing problem with gdb and gcc 3.X.

See the PROBLEMS file:

  gdb/1091: Constructor breakpoints ignored
  gdb/1193: g++ 3.3 creates multiple constructors: gdb 5.3 can't set breakpoints

  When gcc 3.x compiles a C++ constructor or C++ destructor, it generates
  2 or 3 different versions of the object code.  These versions have
  unique mangled names (they have to, in order for linking to work), but
  they have identical source code names, which leads to a great deal of
  confusion.  Specifically, if you set a breakpoint in a constructor or a
  destructor, gdb will put a breakpoint in one of the versions, but your
  program may execute the other version.  This makes it impossible to set
  breakpoints reliably in constructors or destructors.

  gcc 3.x generates these multiple object code functions in order to
  implement virtual base classes.  gcc 2.x generated just one object code
  function with a hidden parameter, but gcc 3.x conforms to a multi-vendor
  ABI for C++ which requires multiple object code functions.

Things you can try:

. modify your program so that the constructors that you want to
  breakpoint call some function that is not a constructor, and break
  on that.

. run 'nm a.out | c++filt' to find the symbols in your program.
  break on the absolute address: "break *0x01234567".  this is
  very crude (1960's technique) but it does work.

. use nm, c++filt, and 'strip -N' to strip out symbols for
  not-in-charge constructors.  This is scriptable, if someone
  wants to write a little script.

It's a hard problem.

Michael C