Re: hardware watchpoints for ppc

Wolfgang,
From what I know there are no hardware watchpoints available on the PPC
target boards. You might just try watch which will create a software
watchpoint. These do work on PPC processors.

Cal

Wolfgang Schmieder wrote:

Hello,

is there anybody who knows how I can set hardware watchpoints on ppc boards ? I have a mpc855 board running a multithreaded application. It appears that one thread (always the same thread) has a corrupted stack (always at the same address). I guess I need to set a hardware watchpoint in a remote debugging session to find the piece of code which is corrupting the stack.

There is one gdb mailing list thread about "supporting hw break/watch for embedded ppc", which makes me think that there is at least a patch or workaround available to set hardware watchpoints on a ppc board.

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Cal Erickson                 MontaVista Software Inc.
Linux Consultant             1237 E. Arques Ave.
Phone (408) 328-0304         Sunnyvale CA 94085
Fax   (408) 328-9204         web http://www.mvista.com