Re: Binary Compatibility: debug info for compiled Java programs

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

> The symbols in the otable (and actually I've been using shorthand
> here, we have a second "atable" for addresses as well -- same
> difference though) are resolved when the class ("Foo") is linked.  In
> Java this is done at runtime, the JVM Spec (and perhaps the JLS) has
> information on the precise steps involved in class preparation and
> initialization.

By the way, Tom and Andrew, I meant to ask, but I forgot: would it
make sense to build the numeric otables and atables for the common
case, and then recompute only when required?  I have to think that the
common case is pretty darn common--I'm sure people don't spend all
their time loading classes into different hierarchies.  Perhaps you
already do this.

Ian