Threads and debug

Hi all,
I am working on the MIPS ISS to create a simulator
for my MIPS based board.
I have defined the memory layout and now it works fine.

Now I can debug an application with the GDB program by
doing something like this:

mipsel-elf-gdb
file program
target sim --board=myboard
load

If I debug a simple no-threads application I have no problem,
but, if the application uses threads, the threads cannot be
debugged.
Do you know where is the problem?

Have I to define a timer inside the ISS?
How can I define it?

thanks in advance