gdbserver breakpoint problem with PowerPC

Hi everyone!

I'm having a problem with gdbserver 6.0. Setup:

HOST- x86 (P4), SuSE 8.0 distro, gdb 6.0
TARGET- PowerPC405GP (custom board), 2.4.21 PPC kernel (custom), gdbserver
6.0 w/ libthread_db.so.1 dependency.
TOOLCHAIN- binutil 2.11.2, gcc 2.95.3, glibc(-linuxthreads) 2.2.2

The problem: the target does not reliably set breakpoints. Single step works
once, then the next step takes off and continues. Set two consecutive
breakpoints and target may or may not stop at first, but never stops at
second. Apparently, gdbserver is not always setting up the trap. I have
captured the remote protocol and see that the single step command is both
sent and acknowledged ($s#73...Ack) for both the case where a single step
works and doesn't.

I searched the list and was unable to find resolution. If such exists -OR- I
am just doing (or not doing) something silly, please point me to the wind
and I will happily fly away. If not, then perhaps someone can tell me where
to start looking and I will dig in and try to fix myself. Thanks!

Andre G Ancelin
VP/CTO
Adtec Digital
A Digital Video Technology Company