Re: How do you debug a shared library if the main app is compiled without debug?

Richard Tierney <mfoc73@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

> I've written a shared library (ELF/.so), with debug enabled, which is
> called from a commercial package. I don't have sources for the other
> vendor's code, and it was (I think) compiled without debug info.
>
> Question: can I use gdb to debug my own code in this environment? If I
> set 'file' to the name of the vendor's executable then I get a message
> about there being no symbols. I've tried setting breakpoints in my own
> code, using a function name or a file and a line number, and then
> running the main app. I had assumed that the breakpoints would be set
> when my code is loaded, but this isn't happening - I get a warning
> about not being able to insert a breakpoint, and a memory access error.

You should try the current GDB sources.  As of about a month ago, Jeff
Johnston got "pending breakpoint" support working, which does exactly
what you want.  Below, '__overflow' is a function used internally by
the 'puts' function:

  $ cat hello.c
  #include <stdio.h>

  char foo;
  int bar = 0x1729;

  main (int argc, char **argv)
  {
    puts ("Hello, world!");
  }
  $ gcc hello.c -o hello
  $ strip hello
  $ gdb hello
  GNU gdb 2004-02-17-cvs
  This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

  (gdb) break __overflow
  Function "__overflow" not defined.
  Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or n) y
  Breakpoint 1 (__overflow) pending.
  (gdb) run
  Starting program: /rigel/jimb/play/hello
  (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...Breakpoint 2 at 0x4206fc06
  Pending breakpoint "__overflow" resolved

  Breakpoint 2, 0x4206fc06 in __overflow () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
  (gdb)