Re: Retire the MPW support from toplevel and binutils

Andrew Cagney wrote:

On Mar 25, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Andrew Cagney wrote:

I'm sure you already knew this, but you'll need to update the cvs modules for the repository at the same time you're doing this - these files are explicitly named in there:

Er, the modules file should _not_ be updated. You can always add, but never remove entries.

In this case, these support files have been obsolete for longer than the sourceware repositories have been live. From a completely maniacal outlook we'd never want to remove files like this, but looking at it realistically, there's nothing being lost here. Yes, if someone checks out binutils 2.10 (one of the first releases after the repositories moved to sourceware, circa June 2000) by a cvs command they'll be missing the mpw support files from the top level.

On the other hand this will cause them to mysteriously disappear from the current live GDB and BINUTILS branches.

Anyway to sit on this until after there's been a release pulled from those branches?

Well, they're not any different from what was in any of the last
releases. In fact, those files haven't been touched (except for
a couple mass-edits) since I last worked on them, in 1996. So on
the off chance that some software archaeologist wants to get a
PhD studying the mysteries of Mac in GNU (hey, it could happen!),
there will be plenty of releases where the latest versions may
be found.

Stan, what's the urgency? Why not wait until GDB 6.1 and BINUTILS 1.? are released as that is obviously going to make everyones life easier. What's that, a few extra weeks?

BTW, I've a few modules of my own that should be dropped. If we do them all in a single hit and when those branches have died, things will work a lot better.

Andrew