Re: handling of absolute source file paths (feature wish/implementation idea)

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 07:22:06PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Gernot Hillier <gernot.hillier@siemens.com>
> > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:01:14 +0100
> >
> > 3. Implement a new setting "source-absolute-prefix" (analog to the already
> > existing "solib-absolute-prefix") which allows the user to set a prefix for
> > given absolute source code paths.
>
> I like this suggestion the best.  It does exactly what you need here:
> allow the source directory tree to be moved deeper in the hierarchy.
> Your other suggestion, searching the source path for relative file
> names, sounds like an ad-hoc hack to me.

Thinking about this some more... here are the rearrangements I find
myself needing.

1.
  src/include/elf.h
  src/bfd/elfarm-nabi.c
  src/bfd/elf32-arm.h
  obj/bfd/bfd.h

  obj/bfd/elfarm-nabi.o:
    compilation dir /blah/obj/bfd
    path to source ../../src/bfd/elfarm-nabi.c
    include flags -I. -I../../src/bfd -I../../src/include

I want to be able to issue one command and find elf32-arm.h,
elfarm-nabi.c, bfd.h, and elf.h.  They all have relative paths, rooted
at compilation directory /blah/obj/bfd.  It happens to have been moved
to /blah-backup/obj/bfd and /blah-backup/src/bfd.

2.  Same as above, but /blah/src/configure instead of ../src/configure,
so files have paths /blah/src/bfd/elf32-arm.h but also ./bfd.h.  Moved
to /blah-backup/obj/bfd again.  So the absolute paths to headers are
wrong and they don't have a simple prefix.  This is probably not
worth solving.

3.  Similar to #2 is the situation Gernot described; the absolute path
for the compilation directory has gained a prefix.  This is pretty
unnatural for me, because I do not mount my _entire_ root filesystem on
the target.  So I have to create /mnt/opt/src on the target and mount
host:/opt/src there, instead of just mounting host:/opt/src on
target:/mnt.  But this is not hard to do, just surprising.  And it
avoids the problem in #2.

So I would like for the absolute prefix to be applied to both
compilation directories used for relative paths and directly to
absolute source paths, and I think that will make my life a little
easier debugging GDB :)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz