Re: gdb, c++ & namespaces

If I think of a "the type that the pointer says" in C++ this is a
pointer of type A pointing to something which is not of type A; hence
its casted to another type or its a pointer to a derived class.

"the type that the object in memory has" is a pointer of type A that
points to an object of type A.

I would say, that polymorphism is like casting type A to B if you can be
sure that all invariants are valid if you use the object after the cast.
With dynamic_cast<B*>(a); you can cast a polymorphic object in a safe
manner on runtime.

This way, I would say that a "dynamic type" is a polymorphic type.
A "static type" is a non-polymorphic type.

void* in C is a very havy polymorphic type but not safe.
C++'s aim was to avoid the void* and make type casting safe.

So if we discuss about "dynamic type" and "static type" for the
debugger, its perhaps not a good idea to use C++ known names for it,
because "a pointer of type A which points in a unsafe manner to something of type B"
is not in the spirit of C++.

What about "pointer type" and "object type" ?

Marcel

--
Marcel Lanz
http://www.ds9.ch/lanz/