Re: inner block not inside outer block

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 01:25:53PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I've just compiled GDB 6.0 with DJGPP (patches to fix what was broken
> to follow shortly) using GCC 3.3.2, and while trying the classic
> "break main; run" test in GDB debugging itself, I see several messages
> like this:
>
>    During symbol reading, inner block not inside outer block in internal_vproblem
>    During symbol reading, inner block (0x1-0xffe289b8) not inside outer block (0x11b09a-0x11b2e0)
>    During symbol reading, block at 0x1 out of order
>
> I've read the description of these messages in the manual, which seems
> to say that, as a user, I shouldn't worry about them.  What I'm not
> sure about is what should I do as a _GDB_maintainer_.  Is this a GDB
> bug? a GCC bug? something specific to the DJGPP port of either or both
> of them? something else?  Should I report that somewhere or is it a
> known problem?
>
> (In case it matters, this GDB was compiled with DWARF-2 debug info.)

This means that the address range of either the psymtab or symtab is
incorrect.  It could be either incorrect debug information (probably in
the linker relocation handling) or it could be a GDB bug (probably in
dwarf2read.c).  You can't use readelf but I assume you can get one of
the other DWARF debugging tools to work - maybe dwarfdump - and figure
out what the actual bounds of the blocks in question are?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz