Re: Unambiguously specifying source locations

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:25:20AM -0700, Jim Ingham wrote:
> I think the intent here is great!
>
> I have a heartfelt plea, however, from one who while not as
> battle-scarred as some others, have waded my way through plenty of
> decode_line_1 bugs...
>
> Is there any way we can not have to keep overloading the expression
> parser with more specifications?  It seems to me this is just a way to
> obfuscate the user's intent so that we can get it wrong trying to
> decode it later.  Daniel's proposed syntax - no offense intended - is
> sufficiently awful that it should give us pause.  Would:
>
> break -shlib foo.dylib -file foo.c MyStaticFunction
>
> be all that awful?  This is unambiguous, represents the user's intent
> exactly, is not too hard to type, and trivial to parse.  Then
> internally, the breakpoint could actually hold all these separate bits
> separately, rather than munging them into a canonical form which we can
> trip over later on...
>
> We will probably have to support the specifications that we do now for
> ever - though adding switches for them would allow unambiguous entry
> and would probably be taken up by a good number of users cause it is
> almost impossible to get wrong...

Feel free to propose a better canonical form :)  You basically just
did, above.  We need a canonical representation, for instance:
  - We use it internally to re-place breakpoints after rereading an
    objfile.
  - We would like to be able to display it so that breakpoints can be
    saved and reloaded.

I guess the question is whether these are useful for anything other
than specifying breakpoint (or tracepoint) locations.  If not then
flags to break might be canonical enough.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz