Re: Problem with COM1 port from with GDB 5.3 under cygwin 1.5.3-1

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:48:49AM -0600, Creighton MacDonnell wrote:
>If I were a Cygwin maintainer, and knew that GDB did not allow names
>such as "/dev/ttyS0" under the old Cygwin, I might react that GDB should
>be made "Cygwin-compatible" first. And after that, if there are still
>problems with the "com?" names, they may want debug information that
>could only be obtained by putting debug code into GDB.

It's lucky that you're not a cygwin maintainer.  "Cygwin compatibility"
is supposed to be "UNIX compatibility".  That's why cygwin exists.

I don't have two systems set up for testing serial ports right now.
However, if I was a person having this problem, I wouldn't be
speculating on what other people should be doing.  I'd be debugging the
problem myself.  In the time it takes to send email, you could be
doing someting like

cd gdb
ls *serial*

and investigating the code there, setting breakpoints, etc.

cgf