gdb remote debugging

I want to make gdbserver run on the arm
simulator,gdb is gdb-5.2.1.First I built a cross gdb
for arm(target=arm-elf,host=i686-pc-linux-gnu),then I
change the Makefile and some source
codes in gdbserver directory,and build it with gcc
,then run "make".At last I run a test program in
remote debugging .If the test program does not contain
i/o operation(for exampel printf or scanf),it can run
successfully.But if so,when gdbserver execute
instructions,it gives an error---segment.
    Who can tell me why?Should I build gdbsever with
arm-elf-gcc? or it has any other reason?