Re: GDB and Java

>>>>> "David" == David Carlton <carlton@math.stanford.edu> writes:
David> Tom, I just committed a large GDB patch that, among other things,
David> touches the dynamic class symbol part of jv-lang.c.  Can you give
David> current mainline a whirl to make sure that I didn't screw anything up?

Ok, I've tried cvs head today.  I'm debugging a large java application
that consists of about 90 shared libraries (not including libgcj).

I can consistently make gdb crash like this:

../../src/gdb/dwarf2-frame.c:1032: internal-error: sect_index_text not initialized
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.

This happens in response to fairly innocuous things like "next" or
"bt".  It doesn't happen in response to every "next" or "bt" command,
and I don't know how to trigger it.  Still, I haven't managed to have
a non-crashing "real" debugging session.  I see this same crash with
an internal gdb I've been using for the last couple days, frequently
right when I've finally gotten to the point I'm actually interested in
(of course :-).

My theory is that the objfile created in jv-lang.c never has
sect_index_text set to a value other than -1.  I haven't tried to
verify this yet.

If anybody has a suggestion for a fix, no matter how hacky, I'd love
to hear it.  Debugging this application -- and hence, fixing gdb if
necessary -- is a priority for me right now.

Tom