Breakpoint on class member function

I'm working with an internally modified gdb 5.3.  I'm trying to figure out
if something happens with symbols after a target remote is issued.  The
binary is ELF format with debugging information built with gcc 3.2.  The
scenario that I'm seeing is the following:

(gdb) file symbols.gdb
(gdb) b foo::foo1
Breakpoint 1 @ ...
(gdb) delete 1
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS1
(gdb) b foo::foo1
the class foo does not have any method named foo1
Hint: try 'foo::foo1<TAB> or 'foo::foo1<ESC-?>
(gdb) b 'foo::foo1(char *, char *)'
Breakpoint 2 @ ...

So, before I do a target remote, I'm able to set a breakpoint without the
fully typed member function.  Then afterwards, it won't work unless it's
fully typed, so I'm forced to use the hint provided.  I haven't modified
anything in the symbol area, but I have made modifications to target remote
related code.

Any insight would be appreciated.  I did see bug 1023, but I wasn't sure if
that applied in my case.