ui-out question

I'm seeing that much of the generated text in gdb is using ui-out routines
rather that printf_unfiltered, etc.  Is this the 'state of the art' that
should be used at all times?  That is, should I be converting my output
routines to use that?

The question that arises from that is the whole 'from_tty' argument that
gets passed around everywhere.  Would it make more sense, if we're using the
ui-out routines anyway, to just let them make the decision about whether or
not to display stuff?  Or am I misreading the purpose of from_tty.  If
false, does it mean, "Do NO output", or does it mean, "Be less verbose."?

I'm thinking that the from_tty might be useful for functions that want to
silently call other functions regardless of the overall setting.  Something
like ui_out_push_output_state(0), ui_out_pop_output_state() would work for
temporarily shutting down output in this case which I believe is somewhat
rare.

cheers,

Kris