Re: Why GCC/ GDB ignore a normal C statement?

Perhaps gdb could be a little more informative about nonlinear
flow?  Not everyone is going to be familiar with what goes on
with instruction scheduling.  I do know, and it still confuses me
sometimes.

It doesn't have to be anything complicated, just stuff like:
print "(line 11 was optimized away)" if doing "step" goes from
line 10 to line 12, there are no machine instructions for line
11, and line 11 isn't just comments.  For expert users, this
could be reduced to printing a "*" in front of line 12.  Or
whatever.

I'd also find it helpful if gdb somehow marked source lines that
were attached to nonconsecutive machine instructions.

The idea is to give just a little more information so I don't
have to spend energy guessing so much.