Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnter_Knauf?= writes:
 > Hi Elena,
 > > nlm... you mean nlmread.c or nlm/* ?
 > > google threw up a few things:
 > > http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/fpcnw/gdbnw.html (seems active, uses 5.3).
 > > http://www.herdsoft.com/ti/netware/cross/4_Debugging.html
 > > There is a gdb wrapper program now that translated netware remote
 > > protocol into gdb remote protocol and vice versa. So they are not
 > > using NLM gdbserver anymore because that supports older versins of
 > > netware only.
 >
 > > elena
 >
 > please dont do that!! We still need the NLM gdbserver;
 > a few NetWare developers (including me) started about 4 years ago with
 > developing NLMs with gcc/nlmconv, and also we use the gdbserver. I know
 > both of the above mentioned developers and I'm in contact with them;
 > and if we really dont need the gdbserver anymore we will post here...
 > but until then please dont drop the NLM support!
 > thanks, Guenter.

Ah, there is life out there, then! :-) This is good news. Let me
explain: the problem we are facing is that gdb is moving forward,
while a few pieces, like nlm, mdebug support, etc, seem to languish
behind, and don't get modernized as the rest of gdb.  It is becoming
harder and harder to keep them integrated with the rest of the
debugger, mostly because people don't have a way to even test them.

Given that there is active development in this area, I strongly
encourage you and the other Netware developers to become an active
part of the gdb community, and bring the parts you work on more in
tune with the rest of the debugger. We will all benefit from such an
approach.

Are you guys willing to do that? If so, please, make sure you have
copyright assignments in place ahead of time.

TIA
Elena