Re: Linux kernel problem -- food for thoughts

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:24:03AM -0400, Elena Zannoni wrote:

> Gdb is currently having a 'little problem' backtracing out of system
> calls in x86 kernels which support NPTL. I think the current public
> 2.5 kernel would make this problem show up.
>
> Right now, if you are in system calls the backtrace will show up as:
>
>  0xffffe002 in ??

I was just thinking about this.  My reaction is:
  - the page needs to be readable; I vaguely remember badgering Linus
about this and getting it fixed, but it might have been someone else,
or it might not have gotten fixed.
  - GDB needs to get the location of the EH information from glibc
somehow.  My instinct is to make glibc export this in a global symbol,
just like the way we get signal numbers from linuxthreads.

How does that sound?

Note that we don't use eh information on i386 yet.  We need to fix
that.  I tried once and got distracted by another project, I think :)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz