Re: dwarf2read.c doesn't produce LOC_COMPUTED_ARG

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 06:16 PM, Jim Blandy wrote:

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com> writes:

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:27:27PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:

I just realized that dwarf2read.c will produce LOC_COMPUTED symbols, but not LOC_COMPUTED_ARG symbols. The case for DW_TAG_formal_parameter in new_symbol doesn't call var_decode_location; it does what it's always done.

Is there any reason for this, or was it just an oversight?

It was just a lack of time, really. We've just recently got a PR about
this too. After I check in the location lists patch I'll try to do
LOC_COMPUTED_ARG.

Okay.

I'm glad to hear there wasn't some horrible reason it was going to be
impossible.

Nope
In fact, it's not that it's never been tried, either. I actually had code around to make LOC_COMPUTED_ARG in dwarf2 just to test the interface, it was simply omitted from the patches that went to gdb-patches (and to DanJ) to make them smaller.

That said, I never regression tested that part of the patch, it was more of a "doesn't seem anything is egregiously wrong here" type thing to make sure i caught all the blatantly obvious cases.

So don't be surprised if it breaks something subtle, but don't be worried it can't be done.
:)

 I just had a rude awakening regarding why frame-base.[ch]
will be with us for at least as long as STABS and mdebug are...