Re: gdb Digest 26 Mar 2003 19:03:48 -0000 Issue 1129

Andrew,

Addressing this problem - driven by the needs of C++ developers - is something I was lobbying for time to do during this release cycle. But it got put off in favor of solving performance issues in gdb instead. However, for the next one (starting post June) release cycle I will probably get more time to look at this.

I don't think we can just hide the physical breakpoints from the user however. It would be very useful to be able to say

(gdb) break FileFullOfTemplates.cc:27

then decide that "no you weren't interested in the int specialization only the double one", or whatever... So being able to peer into the contents of the user-lever breakpoint is a good thing. OTOH, I should certainly be able to disable this breakpoint and not hit it for any variant...

True. Being able to manipulate the mapping will also be useful.

brain enganges. It's more complicated. If I understand this correctly.

(gdb) break FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27

The user might mean:

- the line number
- a template instance
- all inline function instances
- (I'm sure there is more)

For instance, they could be offered:

Set breakpoint at ...
<template a::foo>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27?
<template b::foo>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27?
<template c::foo>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27?
<template d::foo>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27?

But also:

Set breakpoint at ...
<template a>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27, inlined at b.cc:27?
<template a>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27, inlined at b.cc:28?
<template a>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27, inlined at b.cc:29?

Either way, I think these are high-level table entries. The user could certainly view the mapping:

maint print breakpoint
Breakpoint 1 <template a::foo>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27 at
0x123 (b.cc:27), 0x234 (b.c:28), ...

but the manipulation would still typically be high level.

Andrew