Cross-platform gdb/kgdb

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...or tell me it ain't worth trying...

I need to do some kernel debugging with an HP IA-64 system (hpux), and it's the only hpux box available. It would be cool to compile a linux-resident gdb that would run as the kgdb control system for the IA-64 hpux target.

FYI (you may know) hp maintains "kwdb" which is gdb/kgdb for hpux, so I have the code for the target system. But hp hasn't tried cross-platform.

Q: Are the sources in the gdb build tree organized such that I can make the target system include files available without them getting mixed up with the host system includes?

Having run "./configure --host=i386-unknown-linux --target=ia64-hp", I note that files in the gdb directory need access to *target* system include files; but I also see plenty of sources in that directory that include stuff that should probably be local (fcntl, curses, stuff like that).

Q: If it's not completely futile, where could I look for an example or any helpful info?

Thanks,
John Groves