Re: fix break, not add future-break

We talked about this a bit here. Jason was worried that users might find getting an extra prompt when they just mistyped annoying. It is certainly a pretty big change in UI, and will be jarring to old hands for a while. On the other hand, I kind of like this better than having to remember to type another command to get shared-library breakpoints to take.

Working with programmatic interfaces is different, however. We added a -f flag to -break-insert to turn on the "future" behavior. I think calling it out explicitly like this is better for a programmatic interface, since for a driving program it is better to be able to ask for exactly what you want, than asking for something more general and then having to deal modally with the possible responses to a more general request...

Jim

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 12:36 PM, gdb-digest-help at sources dot redhat dot com wrote:

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:13:33 -0500
From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at redhat dot com>

I'd like to propose that break be modified so that it behaves something
like:

	(gdb) break printf.c:printf
	File "printf.c" not currently known, set breakpoint anyway?

And then later:

	(gdb) c
	Enabling breakpoint "printf.c:printf" at ....

--
Jim Ingham                                   jingham at apple dot com
Developer Tools