Re: String handling in GDB command language variables

The command language always mimics the current source language being
debugged, defaulting to C; C doesn't have a string type.  That's the
historical justification anyway.

If there's a consensus that a string type would be useful, it could
probably be done.  I think it might be a good idea; we could use
strings for arguments to gdb commands, etc.  However I'm not sure of
the syntax.

DanielJ's comment, GDB's current behavior is to always a malloc(), store the value in the target, and then create a `char *' `struct value'.

Is there anything in the `rule book' that says that GDB can be lazy (when given "string" create a `char[]' `struct value' and then only allocate space / create the pointer when the value is needed by the target)? Is this trivial? Is this needed?

"no"? "no"? "yes"?

Andrew