Re: How Do I see (Disabled) data?

On 06 Feb 2003 14:25:59 -0500
Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com> wrote:

> Can you show us the exact commands you're using, and the exact output
> from GDB?

The exact gdb commands, below, are actually generated by DDD:

(gdb) graph display buff
(gdb) graph display *buff dependent on 1
(gdb) Attempt to dereference a generic pointer.
Disabling display 2 to avoid infinite recursion.

buff is defined in the code as:
    buff = (void *)param->get_string();

I should mention that I've experimented some more since my first message.  I got adventurous with gdb's print command and found out I could explicitly cast the variable, like this:

(gdb) print (char*)buff
$1 = 0x8060a40 "Alex"

I think I may have answered my own question -- right?

Thanks again,
Bill