Re: [Various] obsoleting the annotate level 2 interface

As far as the interpreter stuff, there are up to date patches I
posted, but I didn't have time to commit. They might need a day or so
of work & testing. If somebody feels lucky....
Do I need a life? I'll sort those out this weekend (and resist the temptation to pick at another loose thread) and get them into current GDB.

This will mean that the pressure is on to quickly spin out a GDB 5.4 containing the updates.

Nick,

These patches, among other things, add the new CLI command `interpreter'. This command lets you do things like:

(gdb) interpreter mi -<mi-command> <mi-args>
.... mi output ...
(gdb)

and will allow EMACS to query GDB using the MI (breakpoint list, frame backtrace, ...) with out requiring a complete rewrite.

Assuming that the level-two annotations are largely needed for the CLI version of those, this in turn will make it possible for EMACS to migrate at least partially to MI and at the same time drop the only just added level-two annotations requirement.

Long term, it would be good if EMACS used the -mi interpreter by default, but I don't see that as an absolute requirement.

RMS has indicated that if I and you agree to finish the MI support that Emacs needs, and convert Emacs to use it, in a short time (say, three months), he would go along with that plan.

I do manage to cover the MI side this weekend, can you, with some help from a few other GDB / EMACS hackers, cover the EMACS side?

Andrew